Recently, ‘Rail Heritage Digitisation Project’ was launched by Indian Railways in collaboration with Google Arts and Culture Association.
• Aim: This project is first-of-its-kind that aims to showcase India’s rail heritage to the national and international audience in an online story-telling platform.
• Wi-Fi Facility: The project also includes the dimension of Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi facility that has been set up in 711 stations currently and the railways plans to take it to over 6000 stations.
• Digital Screens: The railways will also be setting up 22 digital screens for showcasing the historical project.
• It is the largest cultural heritage digitization project not only in India but possibly in the entire Asia Pacific Region.
• Indian Railways contribution to World Heritage list of UNESCO:
Three World Heritage Railways Site:
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR)
- Nilgiri Mountain Railway (NMR)
- Kalka–Shimla Railway (KSR)
Two World Heritage Buildings:
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT), Mumbai
- Churchgate, Mumbai