National Programme on Artificial Intelligence (AI) announced in Interim Budget 2019.
• The programme would be catalysed by the establishment of the National Centre on Artificial Intelligence as a hub along with 6 centres of excellence.
• The project will be steered by NITI Aayog.
• A national AI portal will also be developed.
Developments in the Field of Artificial Intelligence in India
• Budget 2018 mandated the NITI Aayog to establish the national programme on AI to guide research and development in new and emerging technologies.
• NITI’s discussion paper ‘National strategy on Artificial Intelligence‘ identified five sectors for AI application to serve societal needs: Healthcare, Agriculture, Education, Smart cities and infrastructure and Smart mobility and transportation.
• National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NM-ICPS): It is a programme led by the Union Ministry of Science & Technology & Earth Science. Budget 2019 allotted Rs. 5 crore for the mission.
• ‘Task Force on Artificial Intelligence for India’s Economic Transformation’ under V Kamakoti explored possibilities to leverage AI for development across various fields.
– Set up digital data banks, marketplaces and exchanges to ensure availability of cross-industry information.
– Data ombudsman: to address data-related issues and grievances.
– Ensure the availability of funds for R&D.
– Setting up Inter-Ministerial National Artificial Intelligence Mission to act as a nodal agency for coordinating AI related activities in India.
• Potential of Artificial Intelligence in India:
– According to a Accenture report, AI has the potential to add $957 billion to India’s economy in 2035.
– India has become the second largest hub of start-ups. Nearly 200 Artificial Intelligence start-ups in India are today innovating and creating AI-based solutions for various industries.
• International Competition:
– China Artificial Intelligence Development 2018 report by Tsinghua University in September 2018: During 2013-18, the amount of investment and financing in Artificial Intelligence technology in China accounts for 60% in the world, valued at $27 billion in 2017.
– BCG report: China overtook US to top in investments in Artificial Intelligence startups in 2017.
About Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence is the branch of computer science concerned with making computers behave like humans or perform that activity which human consider intelligent like creativity, reasoning. The term was coined in 1956 by John McCarthy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Two subsets come under the umbrella term AI: Machine learning and Deep learning.
• Machine Learning involves the use of algorithms to analyse data and learn from it. This enables making a determination or prediction.
• Deep learning is a technique for implementing machine learning.