The Union Cabinet has approved the launching of NM-ICPS to be implemented by the Department of Science and Technology.
• The NM-ICPS is a comprehensive mission which would address technology development, application development, human resource development, skill enhancement, entrepreneurship and start-up development in CPS and associated technologies.
• The NM-ICPS is a pan India mission and covers entire gamut of the country that includes central ministries, state governments, industry and academia.
Cyber Physical Systems (CPS)
• CPS are integrations of computation, networking, and physical processes.
• Embedded computers and networks are used to monitor and control the physical processes, with feedback loops where physical processes affect computation and vice versa.
Aim of the Mission:
• Structural changes: The mission aims at establishment of:
- 15 Technology Innovation Hubs,
- 6 Application Innovation Hubs and
- 4 Technology Translation Research Parks (TTRP).
• Boost to Advanced Research: The project is also aimed to give impetus to advanced research in CPS, technology development and higher education in science, technology
and engineering disciplines.
• The mission implementation would:
- Develop and bring Cyber Physical Systems (CPS) and associated technologies within reach in the country, adoption of CPS technologies to address India specific
National / Regional issues.
- Produce Next Generation skilled manpower in CPS.
- Catalyze Translational Research.
- Accelerate entrepreneurship and start-up ecosystem development in CPS.
- Place India at par with other advanced countries and derive several direct and indirect benefits.
What will be the Benefit of NM-ICPS?
• One stop solution: CPS technologies provide a cutting edge to a Nation’s scientific, engineering, and technological innovative capabilities.
• Support other missions of the government, provide industrial and economic competitiveness and have truly became a Strategic Resource.
• Act as an engine of growth: The proposed Mission would act as an engine of growth that would benefit national initiatives in health, education, energy, environment, agriculture, strategic cum security, and industrial sectors, Industry 4.0, SMART Cities, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) etc.
• Create jobs:
- It is estimated that, about 40,000 jobs will be created in the short term and about 2,00,000 in long term.
- Start-ups will also create a number of technology driven job opportunities in CPS and allied areas.
• CPS and its associated technologies, like Artificial Intelligence (Al), Internet of Things (loT), Machine Learning (ML), Deep Learning (DP), Big Data Analytics, Robotics, Quantum Computing, Quantum Communication, Quantum Encryption (Quantum Key Distribution), Data Science & Predictive Analytics, Cyber Security for physical infrastructure and other infrastructure, have pervaded and is playing a transformative role in almost every field of human endeavor all most in all sectors.
• It has become imperative for government and industries to be prepared to adopt these emerging and disruptive technologies in order to remain competitive, drive societal progress, generate employment, foster economic growth and to improve the overall quality of life and sustainability of the environment.