National Medical Devices Promotion Council (NMDPC) will be created to provide an impetus and boost to Indian Medical Devices manufacturing industry and support the ‘Make in India’ impetus for Medical Devices in India.
• National Medical Devices Promotion Council (NMDPC) will be setup under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) in the Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
National Medical Devices Promotion Council (NMDPC):
- The Proposed council will be headed by Secretary, DIPP.
- Apart from the concerned departments of Government of India, it will also have representatives from health care industry and quality control institutions.
- Andhra Pradesh MedTech Zone, Visakhapatnam, will provide technical support to the Council.
• Objectives and activities:
- Technical support to the agencies and departments involved in medical device industry promotion & development.
- Monitoring of public procurement notices across India to ensure compliance with Preference to Make in India (PMA) guidelines of DIPP and DoP.
- Policy formulation: by identifying the strengths of the Indian manufacturers and discouraging unfair trade practices in imports. It will act as a facilitating and promotion &
developmental body for Indian Medical Devices Sector.
- Lead India to an export driven market in the sector.
- Give recommendations to the government: based on industry feedback and global practices.
- Hold periodic seminars, workshops and all related networking activities to garner views of the industry.
• As Indian manufacturing companies and startups move towards creating innovative products, the setting-up of the Council will encourage domestic manufacturing in this sector.