Khelo India Youth Games to be held in Pune from January 9, 2019.
• First edition: After the success of the first edition of the Khelo India School Games in 2018, the grassroot level hunt for sportspersons from across the country will again be conducted in 2019 in Pune.
• Two Categories to compete: In second edition, participants will be allowed to compete in two categories, Under 17 and Under 21.
• New Form: Now, it will be known as the Khelo India Youth Games allowing students from colleges and Universities to compete.
• Place: It will be held in Pune, Maharashtra. The first edition was held in New Delhi.
Khelo India Programme:
• It has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country and establish India as a great sporting nation.
Objectives of the Game:
• To create an ecosystem of sports in the country and ensure that our young athletes can get an international-level platform, through which they can showcase their sporting talent.
• To identify them young and extend them support because at that stage in an athlete’s career, they do not get sponsorship from the corporates.
• To make sports a priority in the lives of the youth.
• Monetary Support: Talented players identified in priority sports disciplines will be provided annual financial assistance of INR 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.