Navy to operate information fusion centre to boost Indian Ocean security.
• The Indian Navy will formally inaugurate the Information Fusion Centre (IFC) for the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) at the Navy’s Information Management and Analysis Centre (IMAC) in Gurugram.
• Through this Centre, information on “white shipping”, or commercial shipping, will be exchanged with countries in the region to improve maritime domain awareness in the Indian Ocean.
Do You Know?
• White-shipping refers to commercial shipping information about movement of cargo ships.
• About IMAC: This is the single point centre linking all the coastal radar chains to generate a seamless real-time picture of the nearly 7,500 km coastline.
• Benefit: Entire region will be benefited by mutual collaboration and exchange of information and understanding the concerns and threats which are prevalent in the region.
• Vision: Strengthening maritime security in the region and beyond, by building a common coherent maritime situation picture and acting as a maritime information hub for the region.
• Need of Such multilateral agreements are necessitated due to the large traffic in the Indian Ocean which cannot be entirely monitored by any one nation.
Trans Regional Maritime Network (T-RMN)
• In a related development, India has signed the ascension agreement to the Trans Regional Maritime Network (T-RMN) which facilitates information exchange on the movement of commercial traffic on the high seas.
• The multilateral construct comprises of 30 countries and is steered by Italy.