US government decided to award H-1B visa only for most skilled and highest paid foreign workers.
• The Trump administration proposed major changes to the H-1B application process.
• Electronically register with USCIS: Under a new proposed merit-based rule, the companies employing foreign workers on the H-1B visa – under the Congressional mandated annual caps — would have to electronically register with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) during a designated registration period.
• Limit cap: The H1-B visa has an annual numerical limit of 65,000 visas each fiscal year as mandated by the Congress.
• Exemptions: The first 20,000 petitions filed on behalf of beneficiaries with a US master’s degree or higher are exempt from the cap.
Major Visa Types issued to Indians in USA:
• A-1 Visa: A visa granted to foreign government ambassadors, ministers, diplomats, as well as other foreign government officials or employees traveling on official business.
• B-1/B-2 visa: The most common non-immigrant visa is the multipurpose B-1/B-2 visa, also known as the “visa for temporary visitors for business (B1) or pleasure and medicaltreatment (B2)”
• C-1 visa is a transit visa, when one is passing through the United States enroute to another country.
• D visa is issued to crew members of sea-vessels and international airlines in the United States.
• F Visas: These visas are issued for foreign students enrolled at accredited US institutions.
• The H-1B classification is for Specialty occupation: It is professional-level jobs that require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a specific academic field.
- H-4 visa is issued to immediate family members of H visa holders. But, they are not eligible for employment.
• The L-1 classification is for international transferees who have worked for a related organization abroad for at least one continuous year in the past three years and who will be coming to the United States to work in an executive or managerial (L-1A) or specialized knowledge capacity (L-1B).
• L-2 visa is issued to dependent spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age of qualified L-1 visa holders.